Rules for Paying Debts in a San Diego Probate Administration
The Grossman Law Firm, APC · 525 B Street, Suite 1500, San Diego, CA 92101 · (951) 523-8307
When a loved one passes away leaving behind debts, you may be unsure as to the proper procedure for making payments. It may be unclear to you how to go about paying debts in a San Diego probate administration. Generally, the process is overseen by the probate court and is outlined by the probate laws in California. The following are highlights of the rules relating to the debt repayment process as part of a typical probate administration:
Highlights of the Rules when Paying Debts in a San Diego Probate Administration
- Executors or administrators can begin paying the debts of the estate once they have received their appointment from the California probate court.
- Certain bills, such as consumer credit cards, electricity bills, or water bills can be paid informally.
- Funeral expenses can be paid outright by the executor or administrator.
- The executor or administrator may want certain creditors to complete a specific court form before sending payment. In order to impose such a requirement, the executor or administrator must send proper notice to the creditor as defined by California probate law.
- Creditors have four months from the date of appointment of an executor or administrator of an estate to come forward and submit a claim for payment.
- If the creditor does not have knowledge that the deceased individual has passed, that creditor can submit a petition to the court and may be given up to 12 months following the appointment of the executor or administrator to make the claim.
- If the executor or administrator rejects a claim for payment made by a creditor, that creditor has 3 months to file suit against the estate.
For more information about paying debts in a San Diego probate administration or any questions about the probate process , contact experienced San Diego probate attorney for guidance. Call our toll-free number today at (888) 443-6590 or fill out a contact form on our website to get in touch with us. It would be our pleasure to further assist you during this process. Allow us to be there for you.