Seven Witness Related Reasons To Challenge A California Will
Creating a will in California requires attention to detail. The law provides certain requirements that must be met in order for the will to be valid. One such example relates to the requirement that two witnesses be present to oversee the signing of the document. If the creator of a will did not pay close attention to ensuring that the will was properly witnessed, it may open the door for potential will contest.
What are some of the witness-related reasons that the validity of a will might be brought under attack? The following are seven examples:
- The witness stands to inherit property under the California will.
- The witness was not mentally competent to witness the will.
- The witness did not realize that the document being signed was a will.
- The witness did not actually see the decedent sign the will.
- There was only one witness present.
- The witness was a minor at the time the will was signed.
- The witness was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time the will was signed.
It is important to act quickly, however, will contest in California are subject to time limitations. Waiting too long may cost you the ability to challenge the admittance of the will to probate. Do not make the mistake of delaying your potential legal matter.
If you are ready to start your case, then please give us a call or fill out our Get Help Now form. If you want a comprehensive overview of California Probate, then click here. Should you have additional questions about trust litigation, then you will find plenty of useful information in our Learning Center.