Back to the Learning Center

By: Scott Grossman on August 2nd, 2016

What Parties Can Request the End of a Guardianship

Related Links:

Responsibilities of Guardians of Estates With Minors

Custodians for Minor Beneficiaries of Estates

When it comes to a trust or probate administration, there is an endless number of uncommon scenarios that can arise to make a seemingly simple process more complex. One such example is where the beneficiary of the estate or trust is a minor. The minor may have had a guardian appointed by the Superior Court in San Diego or other courts with proper jurisdiction. What may make the situation unique is that at some point during the administration process, guardianship may no longer be needed. Trustees and executors should understand more about how guardianships end in order to ensure that they properly comply with their duties.

Three Parties Who Can Ask the Court to End a Guardianship

In some cases, it is necessary to go to court to have guardianship terminated. It is important to know which parties can seek the end of guardianship. These individuals include the following:

  1. The child, after reaching age 12 or older
  2. The parents of the minor child
  3. The guardian himself

As the trustee or executor during a trust or estate administration, it is important to be aware as to whether a guardianship has been properly terminated before proceeding as if the individual no longer has a guardian. Fortunately, you do not have to navigate this process alone. We are here to help. We encourage you to contact us today, or at any time that is convenient for you.