How to Value California Estate Assets
It is important to value the assets of a California estate. All executors or administrators must perform this duty to fulfill their roles. Different assets are valued using various methods. While this process may be complicated, an experienced Riverside probate attorney can assist you in properly providing value to California estate assets.
Valuation Methods Used for Common Types of Property Owned by an Estate:
- Real estate is valued using a written appraisal. The appraisal can be performed by a local real estate agent if the property is residential. Commercial property should be appraised by a professional appraiser since it requires a more detailed analysis.
- Stocks are valued by averaging the high and low selling prices on the date of death. If the death occurred on a weekend or a holiday, the date before the death is averaged with the next trading date.
- Mutual funds are valued using the public redemption price of the fund as of the date of death.
- United States treasury notes are valued using their redemption value minus interest.
- Bank, credit union, and savings and loan accounts are valued using their exact value on the date of death. Un-cashed checks and accrued interest are reported separately.
- Loans, notes, and mortgages are valued using their outstanding balances as of the date of death.
- Cars, airplanes, and boats are valued using the sale price as of the date of death. Often, this means using the value contained in the “Kelly Blue Book” or a similar resource.
- Business interests are typically valued by the accountant handling the tax returns, as these interests are often discounted.
To learn more about how to value California estate assets and the other responsibilities of an estate executor or administrator, view our free guide The Insider’s Guide to California Probate and Trust Administration. Contact an experienced Riverside estate attorney for guidance throughout this process. Call our toll-free number today at (888) 443-6590 or, fill out our quick and easy contact form to get in contact with us. It would be our pleasure to further assist you.