Back to the Learning Center

By: Scott Grossman on September 14th, 2016

Should I Go to the Police for a San Diego Trust Case?

San Diego trust and probate litigation attorney Scott Grossman addresses the issue of how helpful law enforcement is when you are not receiving your rightful inheritance.

Often at our office we see clients who are upset because they feel cheated. They are beneficiaries under a trust, and believe the trustee of the trust did something (or failed to do something) which amounts to stealing what rightfully belongs to our client.

So it would make sense that calling the police would provide helpful recourse, right?

The truth is, in the majority of the cases we see, calling law enforcement is of minimal help. The reason is that unless you can show that the trustee literally took a large amount of money and ran off with it, generally law enforcment, whether it is the San Diego Sheriff’s Office, San Diego Police Department, or other law enforcement agency, is not going to step in.

If you believe a true crime has been committed, by all means, do call the police to report it.

But in the typical trust litigation scenario, in which the trustee will not share information, or has behaved recklessly with trust money, or will not bring the trust to a timely close, law enforcment likely will not file a criminal complaint.  Your best (and possibly only) recourse if you find yourself in this situation is to take matters into your own hands by litigating your case in probate court.

If you recongize yourself in any of these scenarios, it is in your best interest to act quickly to preserve and protect your rights.

Contact our office at (888)443-6590 to schedule a consultation or to request your free copy of our book, The Ultimate Guide to California Trust and Probate Litigation.