Safe Deposit Boxes and California Probate: 5 Steps to Take Right Away
Accessing the safe deposit box during a California probate administration is very important. Crucial information could be contained within the box, including original copies of the will or trust. The box may also contain valuable information about other estate assets or the burial wishes of your loved one. Therefore, it is essential that you not delay in attempting to access the box.
If you find yourself in such a situation, consider taking the following steps:
- Contact an experienced probate administration lawyer right away. Your attorney can guide you through the steps of gaining access to the box in a legal manner that does not expose you to any liability or wrongdoing.
- Determine the location of the safe deposit box. You may need to consult with the friends or loved ones of the decedent. You could also review the mail and bills of the decedent for more information on the location of the safety deposit box.
- Obtain a copy of the death certificate, as you will need it in order to gain access to the box.
- Bring with you proof of your own identity when attempting to access the box.
- Determine whether there was a co-holder of the box. If there is a co-holder, determine whether that individual is alive or deceased.
Reviewing the contents of the safe deposit box is one of the most important steps you will take as you begin the process of administering a California estate. For guidance through the probate administration process, contact an experienced California probate court attorney today. Call the Grossman Law Firm at (888) 443-6590 for a consultation.