Back to the Learning Center

By: Scott Grossman on September 15th, 2016

Riverside Trust Attorney: Obtaining a Copy of the Trust

If your loved one recently passed away and you believe that you are a beneficiary under their trust, you may be uncertain as to how to go about obtaining a copy of the trust instrument. In many cases, the trustee of the trust, the attorney representing the estate, or the deceased may have provided you with a copy. You may have to compel the trustee to provide you with the trust instrument in accordance with California trust law. For assistance through this process, contact an experienced Riverside trust lawyer.

In general, there are several options available for a California beneficiary of a trust. If you have not received a copy of the trust instrument and do not know what is happening with the trust assets here are some tips.

The following is a brief overview of steps that can be taken when obtaining a copy of a trust:

  1. Contact a Riverside trust lawyer who can help you understand your legal rights.
  2. If you have the contact information for the trustee, request a copy of the trust in writing.
  3. Check with the superior court to see if the trust is on file.
  4. Bring an action with the probate court to seek disclosure of the trust.
  5. Bring an action with the probate court for an accounting.
  6. The trustee may deny your request for a copy of the trust. Bring an action requesting that the trustee pay your attorney’s fees as well as court costs.

For more information about how the trust administration process works in California, view our free guide, The Insider’s Guide to California Probate and Trust Administration.

While understanding what happens with the trust that your loved one created after he or she passes away may feel overwhelming, an experienced Riverside trust attorney will guide you through the process. To learn more, contact the Grossman Law Firm toll free at (888) 443-6590.