10 Important Questions to Ask Before Hiring a San Diego Probate Lawyer
Choosing the right attorney to handle the administration of your loved one’s estate is not easy. There are many attorneys who claim to be knowledgeable in this field, and unless you have experience administering San Diego estates in the past, you may not know what to look for to distinguish among them. While it is, of course, important to ensure that you feel comfortable with the attorney you are interviewing, there are also several questions that you can ask to get a sense of the practitioner’s overall experience level. These questions include:
- What year did the attorney graduate from law school?
- Which attorneys will be handling your loved one’s estate administration?
- Does the attorney have any additional schooling or training in the estate or trust administration field?
- How quickly do the attorneys respond to phone calls or emails?
- How many years of experience does the attorney have specifically handling trust and estate administration matters?
- Are former clients of the attorney willing and able to act as references?
- Does the attorney have any disciplinary record?
- Has the attorney handled probate administrations in the court where your loved one’s administration will take place?
- Is the attorney familiar with the type of trust that your loved one left behind?
- Has your attorney worked with taxable estates in the past?
If the estate of your loved one involves more complicated issues, such as federal estate tax, complex trusts, or probate administration matters, it is even more important that you find an experienced professional to handle your loved one’s administration. Our article, “California Probate Lawyers: How to Choose Yours,” provides a helpful guide to this process. To learn more about handling estate administration in San Diego, contact the Grossman Law Firm today at (888) 443-6590.
The Grossman Law Firm, APC · 525 B Street, Suite 1500, San Diego, CA 92101 · (951) 523-8307