10 Ways to Find an Insurance Policy During a California Estate Administration
The Grossman Law Firm, APC · 525 B Street, Suite 1500, San Diego, CA 92101 · (951) 523-8307
During the administration of your loved one’s estate, you may need the quick access to liquid assets that an insurance policy can provide. A life insurance policy with a named beneficiary will typically avoid the need for San Diego probate court involvement, allowing you to receive the benefit much quicker than an asset that must pass through probate. What if you cannot find the insurance insurance policy during a California estate administration?
The following are 10 recommended steps for locating a lost insurance policy during a California estate administration:
- First of all, contact an experienced San Diego probate court lawyer for assistance with your search.
- Second, search through your loved one’s mail. You may come across mail from the insurance company.
- Additionally, go through your loved one’s canceled checks. He or she may have written checks to pay the insurance premiums, meaning the name of the insurance company would be on the check.
- Also, check with the bank that has your loved one’s checking or savings account. Some banks offer insurance policies to their banking customers.
- Furthermore, contact your loved one’s current and previous employers.
- Search through safety deposit boxes, filing cabinets, and any other areas where important documents were kept.
- Additionally, contact your loved one’s attorney, tax advisor, or financial advisor, all of whom may have had this information on file.
- Review recent income tax statements for evidence of interest income or interest expenses paid to life insurance companies.
- Consult with your loved one’s close friends and family members.
- Finally, consider hiring a service that can help you look for a lost insurance policy.
In conclusion, we want to note that it is vital that you conduct a proper search for a life insurance policy. This is outlined in our article, Insurance Carriers Do Not Proactively Make Payouts to Beneficiaries. For assistance administering an estate in California, contact an experienced San Diego probate court attorney today for further guidance. Call the Grossman Law Firm at (888) 443-6590 for a free consultation. Or, fill out our quick and easy online form today. It would be our pleasure to further assist you through this process.