Trustee of my parents’ trust won’t give me any information

Trustee (noun):

A person or organization that has been given responsibility for managing someone else’s property or money through a Trust. There are different types of trusts, including Totten Trusts, Special Needs Trusts, Testamentary Trusts, Living Trust, and many others. The type of trust will determine the exact actions a Trustee must take in order to perform their job.

Beneficiary (noun):

A person who benefits from a trust, will, or life insurance policy. This includes heir, heiress, inheritor, legatee; recipient, receiver, payee, donee, assignee; devisee, grantee.

What should I do if the Trustee of my parents’ trust will not give me information?

The short answer is:

Send a written request to the trustee for the information you want. The trustee has an obligation to provide each beneficiary of the trust with information concerning the trust. This includes information about assets, liabilities, receipts and disbursements of the trust. The trustee also has to tell the beneficiaries about the actions of the trustee.

So what is a written request?

A written request asks for a full and complete copy of the trust by snail mail or email. Because a child is an heir they have a right to a copy of the trust even if they do not inherit. This would show they are not to inherit and no trustee should be unwilling to provide a child of the trustor or creator of the trust a copy of that trust.

As a child beneficiary of the trust, I have a right to know a lot more from the Trustee of my parents’ trust. This includes an accounting, which details the assets and liabilities in the trust, specifically what money or property is coming out of the trust and what is going into the trust.

Contact our office for assistance if you have requested a copy of the trust documents or an accounting and have not received them! We are here to help! Call us today at 951-683-3704 and click here to request a copy of Attorney Scott Grossman’s book, Winning The Inheritance Battle: The Ultimate Guide To California Trust And Probate Litigation.


Scott Grossman

Scott Grossman


The Grossman Law Firm, APC · 525 B Street, Suite 1500, San Diego, CA 92101 · (951) 523-8307

Pin It on Pinterest