We Speak for the Dead TM

Toll Free: (888) 443-6590

Ask for Blocked Accounts When Beginning San Diego Trust Litigation

If you are faced with a pending San Diego trust litigation matter, time is often of the essence. For example, your matter may involve the trustee’s misuse or abuse of trust funds. Under these circumstances, every day that is lost could result in further wasting of trust assets, ultimately reducing the inheritance that is rightfully yours. Fortunately, the California Probate Court offers options for beneficiaries who find themselves in such a position.

California’s Probate Code offers help for interested parties concerned with a trustee’s abuse of trust assets. One such option is file a Petition for Instructions and Blocked Accounts. The following is an overview of this option:

  • A blocked account is a bank account that is set up by a trustee.
  • The funds of the trust are then placed into that account.
  • Funds held in a blocked account cannot be withdrawn, transferred, or otherwise used without a San Diego probate court order authorizing the action.
  • The blocked account allows the beneficiary to freeze the trust assets pending resolution of the issues with the trustee.

Obtaining court intervention is vital when you are concerned with the trustee misusing trust assets. It is important to note that successfully petitioning the court for a blocked account requires a carefully prepared filing. It is therefore more likely that the court will grant your request if you prepare your petition under the guidance of a knowledgeable legal professional.

Finding the right attorney to handle your legal matter is not always easy. Our article, Five Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Trust and Probate Litigation Attorney, provides guidance about how to choose the right professional for your case. Contact an experienced San Diego probate court attorney today for more information. Call the Grossman Law Office at (888) 443-6590 for a consultation.

Scott Grossman

Scott Grossman


The Grossman Law Firm, APC · 525 B Street, Suite 1500, San Diego, CA 92101 · (951) 523-8307

Pin It on Pinterest