Back to the Learning Center

By: Scott Grossman on April 5th, 2018

How can we place our property into a California trust?

This is a good question. Many people create a California trust only to fail to take all the steps necessary to bring all their assets under the trust. Property not held in the California trust may have to go through California probate. All real property should have its title changed. The tile would go from the name of the owner to a name that includes the mention of the trust. Some types of property, whose ownership is not established formally by a title —can be transferred to the California trust. This would be done by adding them to the list of assets of the trust document.

It may be difficult to keep such a list updated and include all the assets in the trust. The solution is for the settlor to write what is called a “pour-over will”. A pour-over will transfers all the decedent’s assets that have not yet been included in the California trust.

If you are ready to start your case, then please give us a call or fill out our Get Help Now form.  If you want a comprehensive overview of California Probate, then click here. Should you have additional questions about trust litigation, then you will find plenty of useful information in our Learning Center.