While the obligations of a personal representative or trustee are numerous during an estate or trust administration in San Diego, one of the most important duties is to file all necessary estate, gift, and income tax returns on behalf of the deceased, the trust, or the estate. It is therefore vital that you be familiar with the various filing deadlines for each type of tax return. Consult with a knowledgeable California estate administration attorney for guidance through this process.
The following is a general overview of the tax deadlines that may apply during an estate or trust administration in California:
- The estate tax return is due nine months from the date of death unless an extension is requested.
- The final income tax return of the deceased is due on April 15th the year following death.
- The gift tax return is due on April 15th the year following when the gift was made.
- Typically, a trust income tax return is due each year on April 15th.
- In some cases, a trust income tax return may be due based upon the fiscal year of the trust.
- The estate income tax return is due on April 15th of the year following the tax year during which the estate earned income greater than $600.
To learn more about tax liabilities and estate administration in California, view our free guide The Insider’s Guide to California Probate and Trust Administration. Contact an experienced San Diego probate attorney today. Call our toll-free number at (888) 443-6590.
AttorneyThe Grossman Law Firm, APC · 525 B Street, Suite 1500, San Diego, CA 92101 · (951) 523-8307